Website Design Checklist
Once you've planned your site using our 10 Step Web Site Planning Guide, you can use this checklist to help you gather your content and focus your design ideas.
- Gather your best brainstormers and/or those who will be making decisions on the design, look and content of the web site and get their input. (It's best to have their input now instead of a month from now at your site launching party!)
- To get the juices flowing, check out competitor or similar sites and identify what you like and don't like about them in the way of design, graphics, content and navigation.
Define the Mood of Your Site:
- Do you want the "mood" of your site to be fun? classy? suit and tie? simple and clean? flashy?
- Consider your current print materials.
- How will your site continue to reflect your desired company image?
Think about Layout & Navigation:
- Consider your web site from the perspective of your audience; not your organization.
- How will visitors want to explore your site? Will they want to see a list of services? a catalog of products? see examples of your work? or get a quote?
- How do you want your customers to contact you? email? online contact form? phone?
Grab Them on the Home Page:
- What are the top 5 questions people ask you about your products or services? The answers to those should be on your site and easily accessible on or from your home page.
- Write a short paragraph or bulleted list that emphasizes your "unique concept or benefit" that makes buying or using your products or services a must. Will your motto work well on the site?
Consider Colors & Graphics:
- Simple color schemes and fewer graphical elements are easier to read.
- We can repeat your printed material's look throughout your site or come up with a color scheme for you.
- We can use your existing logo or create one for you.
- Keep in mind that more graphics and photos increase load time.
Define Work Process & Schedule:
- What is the best way for us to keep in contact?
- How should we collect site materials?
- What is your target date for completion?
Additional Considerations for Shopping Cart Sites:
- How many products do you want to sell online?
- Can the products be grouped into logical categories?
- Do you have product descriptions and photos?
- What kind of order method (s) do you need?
- Browse catalog to order
- Type in product id numbers to order
- Select multiple items from one page to order
- Will there be quantity pricing or bulk items?
- Will you be selling to both retail and wholesale customers?
- What will your shipping charges or special order considerations be?
Additional Considerations for Content Management Sites:
- Define what type and how much content you want to manage. Will it be lists? newsletters? articles? a calendar?
- If you update a piece of content, say an event calendar, at least once a month, it's a good candidate for inclusion.
- Consider who will be managing the content or if you will give the data to us to update your site.